If the thought of having to navigate our complicated healthcare system makes you want to hyperventilate, 1. you’re not alone, and 2. there are really nice people out there that can help you with all that stuff!
We recently spent a couple of hours with Deborah M. Bain RN, BSN, and founder of Prism Health Advocates, based in Kent, CT. We should all be so lucky to have Debbie in our corner on anything healthcare. Here’s the scoop!
Post sponsored by Prism Health Advocates
Meet Debbie Bain
Tell us about the history of Prism Health Advocates…
I’m a retired trauma nurse. Through an almost 40 year career in medicine, I’ve always been sensitive to the fact that people struggle with our healthcare system. When any medical crisis hits, people are vulnerable and feel isolated. They don’t know how to stand up for themselves and their rights, they don’t know what questions to ask, and they don’t know where to go to find the answer to the questions they have.
Providing a service that is based on honesty and integrity, total transparency, and the sincere objective of helping people to the best of our ability is why Prism Health Advocates was born.
What is Prism Health Advocates?
We’re a boutique health consultancy that provides health advocates -healthcare “guides” if you will, to help all individual patients and their families, and company employees, understand, coordinate, research, and navigate through health issues they may have.
What are some of the services you offer?
- Healthcare advocacy
- An expedited, targeted approach to navigating the healthcare system
- Education in better utilization of insurance/health benefits and the greater healthcare system
- Support and guidance in all things medical
- Organization, assessment, and negotiation of all medical bills
- Identification of best in-network and out-of-network providers as needed
- Cost comparison for tests/procedures
- Confidential education/support for mental health/drugs/alcoholism
- Care management assistance for chronic conditions
- Coordinated post-hospitalization care management to increase optimal recovery
- Identification of best facilities for assisted living, nursing, rehab, etc
- Veteran Assistance
- Home health and eldercare support services identified
- End of life planning
Can you share some general tips everyone should know about healthcare?
- Know your insurance/benefits
- Know your rights as a patient and a human being
- Never make important decisions without getting all the facts and understanding them
- If your doctor explained things to you, and you still don’t understand, have them repeat it until you do
- Most bills can be negotiated
- It is important that you are compliant with your doctor’s advice
- Know that you do not have to be alone when facing these medical challenges
What are some of the ways you can help companies reduce their healthcare costs?
With our help we can:
- Decrease over-testing and expedite correct diagnosis
- Increase employee efficiency since we will do the medical research for them
- Provide better employee health through education and
support hands on
- Decrease over utilization of the ER with education
If you’re currently struggling with anything medical, we recommend giving Prism Health Advocates a call. The consultation is free. Check out their packages and pricing here – it’s affordable!
Prism Health Advocates can help you make sense of the complicated puzzle that is healthcare, giving you personal support at the same time. We won’t hesitate to call Debbie if the need ever arises; she’s a power-woman!
Photos provided by Prims Health Advocates, except as noted.